Friday, May 27, 2011

Summer Projects

This summer has brought new challenges for me. With my brother getting married I am out of a roommate (but I'd much rather have a new sister than a roommate), so now I have to go searching for a new roomie and a new apartment. While I'm doing this, I am staying with my parents. It's a tight fit, and all my stuff is in boxes (some in storage too), but at least this gives me a chance to save up money and it gives me some time to redo my furniture. When I moved into my last apartment the walls were stark white and there was no chance of painting them, so I went with blue and cream as my color scheme. I painted my dresser a light turquoise and off-white. It was a very funky look. Also, I painted my formerly wood-stained bed frame off-white. Clearly I did not think my color scheme through very well because the whole time I lived there I was yearning for something red. Yes, red is my favorite color. Now, I don't fully agree with that statement because I really love all the colors. My "color of the moment" as I like to call it, changes frequently, but my constant go-to, must-have color is red. I adore red. Unfortunately there was no red in my room at my apartment. What was I thinking?! I was trying to do something different, but somethings will always stay the same. So with new prospects ahead of me I decided I would take some time to redo my furniture in a scheme that is more suiting to me. Meaning, I'm adding a splash of red.
First is my dresser. I've been thinking of redoing it for a long time and I have finally come up with 3 options.
Option 1: I will paint it white and cover it in old sheet music. This would be the most time- consuming, and was my original idea.


Option 2: Instead of covering the entire dresser in sheet music, I would paint the outside white and cover only the drawer fronts. This would be a less busy design and give more freedom to the other colors I use in my room.

Option 3: A far cry from the above ideas, my third is to paint my dresser white and do a nautical design. (I found these pillows on Etsy, and they are perfect for a nautical theme.)
Maybe I'll paint my new drawer pulls red or blue, or add an anchor print to the drawer fronts. We'll see, this idea is still in the works.



Now for the hardest part, choosing which one to do. I did go to the store today and bought some new brushes, white paint, drop cloth, and...red spray paint! Yes, lots of red spray paint, which will be used for another project in the not-too-distant-future. Stay tuned for updates on my projects for my "new" furniture!

No comments:

Post a Comment